Evangelism has been pretty cold work lately. We have been spending a lot of time finding the places where college kids hang out and dropping pins on our mental map of Bangalore. We know the theoretical "hot spots" to reach the youth that is so eager to rebel from their traditional heritage. When we engage, however, we are finding that most people aren't too interested in knowing Jesus. This really takes an emotional and spiritual toll on you at first. We obviously know that we aren't going to win every person we encounter to Christ, but we also grow impatient. I think God wanted to teach us patience this week.
The feeling of reward for our work in the slums comes with a certain immediacy that evangelism is lacking. We are using too much logic to argue for Jesus. American atheists would be fascinated by this fact. The South Asians just don't care about all of that. It has more to do with culture and society for them. Show me why I should follow Jesus. I came to a realization that I simply wasn't spending enough time on my knees asking for the lost. I don't know the Father's heart like I should. My head is getting in the way and interrupting the Spirit when it tries to speak and lead. I found myself frustrated with the Indian people and avoiding conversation with them. Satan swept right in and capitalized on my lack of faith. All of this happened in a span of two days or so. I just wanted to stay in the slums where ministry was easy. It makes zero sense to anyone who isn't here, but it's true.
After the night with the widows and some serious prayer, God provided the heart change I needed. I have found Him to be quite the heart surgeon in my time here. He has mended me in every way in the most opportune time as He sees it. We visited another mall in central Bangalore. After many failed attempts in another mall days earlier, I had no reason to be excited. I was excited. God was just speaking peace over the day and I felt good things ahead. I could sense that God was going to set up a fruitful appointment and right at the end of the day He did.
We were in the food court eating ice cream and I was looking for common ground to work from with these people. First I looked for students and found pockets of them scattered. I needed an entry way, some kind of reason to approach them. Then I saw a guitar with three students. Here we go. I went up and asked if they played. All three of them had guitars and had just bought them in hopes of learning. I told them I know some chords and would love to teach them. I also shared Jesus and they were interested as they had never heard someone tell Jesus' story as I did. They didn't know Jesus claimed to be the Son of God but they claimed to be Catholics. I said I would love to hang out again. They were ecstatic and exchanged contact information with me. God came through. We just needed patience.
Later that night I called back home to my little brother and his classmates after dinner. They were still in school and my partner and I got to tell how faithful God had been. It felt good just to brag on Jesus to someone who cared about him for a little bit. Most people here take it with a grain of salt but nothing beats sharing with some passionate brothers. Any stories we tell have to come back to Jesus or they just aren't worth telling. We were running on empty just a couple days ago but have new energy after these past couple days. We love it here. Pray that God has our scattered seed fall on rich soil.